Chocolate Fig and Ginger Cake Recipe
A nice chocolate fig cake recipe to try !
Chocolate Fig Cake Recipe Ingredients.
- 250g butter, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) water
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (35g) cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (100g) dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup glace ginger, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried figs, finely chopped
- 1 2/3 cups (250g) plain flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bi-carbonate of soda (bi-carb soda)
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger powder
Chocolate Fig Cake Recipe INSTRUCTIONS
1. Combine the butter, water, sugar, cocoa powder and chocolate together in a medium sized saucepan.
2. Place over gentle heat. Bring to the boil whilst stirring. You need to stir until everything has dissolved to stop the mix from burning. Be careful that the mix does not boil over.
3. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat. Add the glace ginger and figs. Cover with a lid and leave to cool to room temperature. To cool this quickly place the saucepan in a sink of cold water.
5. Whisk in gently the flour, bi-carb soda and ginger powder into the cooled liquid. Whisk until all lumps are removed. Do not over whisk; you are not trying to add air into the batter just remove any flour lumps.
6. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan. Remember the baking pan must be lined with non-stick baking paper. The batter will be quite liquid and will level naturally. Tap the tin on the kitchen bench three times to remove any large air bubbles.
7. Bake in a preheated oven set at 160oC (325oF) for 80 mins. The top of the cake will crack. Don’t worry the cracks will settle and will be hidden when you turn the cake out of the tin..
8. Make the honey caramel syrup while the cake is baking.
9. Remove from the oven. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 mins. Gently and very carefully turn out the chocolate fig and ginger cake on to your serving plate.
10. Decorate your chocolate fig and ginger cake with the extra glace ginger and figs if desired.
11. Top the chocolate fig cake with the honey caramel sauce. Save some of the sauce to serve with the sliced chocolate fig cake...nice ! Enjoy it !